A mermaid at your event or business in exchange for a donation to animal rescue and/or conservation efforts in the Chesapeake Bay region. Sound good? For more info, write to email@example.com
The Chesapeake Mermaid is an icon for the caring and supportive people of the Chesapeake Bay watershed region by being a leader in conservation with respect for wildlife.
- Education and outreach in the commercial world drawing fresh, new audiences.
- Presenting a first hand and fun perspective on volunteerism.
- Encouraging audiences to get involved through volunteering, donations. and social sharing.
How We Do It
- Innovative educational appearances by a mermaid (wet or dry) at commercial, volunteer, and fundraising events.
- Documentation of volunteerism and workshops through photos and videos shared online.
- Reporting on commercial and private contributions to conservation.
- Supporting fundraising and volunteer opportunities for Bay area programs.
In 2016, The Chesapeake Mermaid attended 16 social events, 5 private parties, 15 photo sessions, held 3 contests, gained over 1,000 social media followers, volunteered 500 hours with wildlife and habitats, and engaged about 7,500 people in person. That’s in addition to a lifelong passion for doing these same things.
A Few Organizations We Have Supported
- The Chesapeake Bay Foundation
- Maryland Oyster Restoration Center
- Virginia Oyster Restoration Center
- The Severn Riverkeeper Program
- The National Aquarium
- Marine Animal Rescue Program
- Aquarium Conservation Team
- University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science
- Horn Point Laboratory – Oyster Hatchery
- The Chesapeake Biological Laboratory at Solomons
- The Chesapeake Bay Trust
- Oyster Recovery Partnership
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources
- Orphaned Wildlife Rescue Center
- The Waterfront Partnership of Baltimore/ Healthy Harbor/ Mr. Trash Wheel
- Anita C. Leight Estuary Center
- Clean Bread and Cheese Creek
- Spa Creek Conservancy
Who We Are
The Chesapeake Mermaid is a network of volunteers who love their home and present a professional entertainment experience using innovative techniques. We are independent and unaffiliated, seeking sponsorship and assistance with grants. If you’d like to join or support us, we would love to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org
Why We Do It
Our concept was born in an attempt to move beyond scientists talking to scientists and activists talking to activists. We are a different kind of outreach. We understand and respect the need for factual organizations to be institutions of science and separate themselves from fantasy, but there ARE valuable audiences to be reached this way. Let us attract, entertain, educate and lead new audiences to the programs that need the most support.
The loss of balance in our Bay took hundreds of years to occur and may take hundreds of years to restore. We need an icon for the future. A symbol of the hope of this region beyond ourselves and our lives. The Chesapeake Mermaid is here to help.
- BMORE Lifestyle: Interview on WUTB 24 My TV Baltimore
- Chesapeake 360 Magazine: Feature article and cover photo
- The BayNet: Coverage of “Taste the Beaches” appearance
- The Calvert Recorder: Front page photo on Friday, September 15, 2017 edition
- WBOC/DelmarvaLife: Coverage of Ocean City beach appearance
- Ocean City Today: North American Sea Glass Festival, mention
- Dundalk Eagle: CB&CC Cleans Up Lynch Cove Run, mention
- The BayNet: 2017 Polar Bear Plunge, mention
- The Capital Gazette: Kegs and Corks, mention
- Of Meeting Mermaids and Helping Animals: Featured article and mention